PMU Game Corner

I apologise in advance for my poor explanation.

Similar to the game corners in the main games, you play mini-games for coins which you can trade for items. My hope is that applying a similar system to the pre-existing games, ‘Capture the Flag’ and that other snowball one I forgot the name of, would make it easier to find parties for them.

Game Corner itself was initially thought to best be put within the Delite Plaza to be advertised as an entertainment hub within the game but considering its already crowded state I think it’s probably best to put it beneath the CTF waiting room. Of course, that sort of decision is probably best left to the Designers themselves.
Anyhow, the Game Corner will have a few mini games within it to reflect that of the main game.

Some ideas are as follows;
Slots

• A slot machine. I can’t imagine it’d be easy to add this sort of thing in but an alternate idea is to have a rng decide whether a game is a win or loss, as well as how many tokens are won. For example.
    Start// “It’s a slot machine. Use 1 token to play?”
    Loss// “Aww. Nothing.” “These machines are a scam anyway.”
    Win// “Well, at least you got your money back. You won 1 token.”
    Win1// “You got a line! You won 2 tokens.
    Win2// " Nice one! You won 5 tokens.”
    Win3// “Jackpot! You won 9 tokens.”

Crane

• Or whatever you call those little grabby-claw games.
  • It’d give you random items varying in rarity or usefulness.
    Costs, 1-3(or 5?) tokens. (Perhaps you can have three machines with different chances and different items.)
    Item suggestions;
    Tier 1// Oran berry, Oren berry, Lum berry, 10-100 Poke, 1-5 Ekop, generally less used items.
    Tier 2// Mushroom, Big Mushroom, Shards, Reviver Seeds, Honey, other commonly used items.
    Tier 3// Swarm Band, Pecha Scarf, Mystic Water, etc… Held items.
    Tier 4// Evolutionary items? Metal Coat and whatnot.
    Tier 5// Max Revive, Silver Key, Golden Apple, Scanner Orb, Heart Scale, 10 Tokens, 1 Event Token, Gold Ribbon, TM Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/etc…
  • Another idea is to have one for family items too. Probably just the low rarity ones though.

Quiz

• This would be abused if there were not a way to implement some kind of timer.
  • Questions would be PMU/Pokemon orientated.
    For example;
    Q// Mudkip is what species of Pokemon?
    A1// Mudskipper Pokemon
    A2// Mud Fish Pokemon
    A3// Mud Dweller Pokemon
  • Each question answered correctly gives 1 token, offering a maximum winning of 10 tokens for 10 questions.
  • This can only be played once per real-time day otherwise people would probably be able to memorise all of the answers.

Anyway, the purpose of the games is to offer tokens. These tokens can be traded in for prizes, similar to the main games.
Prize ideas;

• 5 tokens, Reviver Seed.
  • 10 game tokens, Revival Herb
  • 20 game tokens, Max Revive.
    filler…
    more filler…
  • 80 game tokens, TM Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, etc…
    -100 game tokens, 1 Event Token.
  • some stuff in between that’s rarer, like Heart Scales or something idk.
  • 1000 game tokens, A Mystery Egg. (Containing something rare or limited. Or put a Magikarp in there and don’t tell anyone. Haha.)

Of course, it’d take a long time to get some of the rarer stuff but an idea to soften it would be to offer Game tokens for ‘free’ instead of them always being a gamble. Participating in a CTF game gives you 1-3, but if your team won the game you get 10. The snowball can have a similar reward.

Anyway, that was my very poorly thought through idea.

edit// tokens can be bought for 5k each or something.

A brilliant idea! I have always want PMU to have more mini-games for players to entertain. Playing Mini-games will definitely a great choice for everyone if they are not into going to dungeons sometimes.

(Tho i’m kinda suck at mini-games XD)

i like this idea ;0

Yup! This sounds good. Hope it’s codeable.

it would be a nice mini-game system to have! especially when taking a break between dungeons! fingers crossed its doable!

Thinking about it again It can be nice to have some non gambling related mini games in any case. I don’t mind gambling games personally though I would not encourage gambling in RL at all.
I think, if I recall correctly, game took gambling out of the remakes of games that had them as it was inappropriate for the younger audience.

Indeed but I couldn’t think of any other games, except for smaller randomly generated button mazes or something.
It’d also work as a money sink because I’ve heard there are concerns about the amount of poke in circulation at the moment. I edited in a note recently about tokens being purchaseable for around 5k. I was thinking 10k but for the prizes you can get it seems too much. Although I think the goal is to use a few tokens to make much more, to which degree it’d be reasonable to make them cost 10k each. In my opinion at least. It’d discourage people outright buying the more expensive items since token winnings are low in the first place.

For now I was going with a ‘pay to play’ kind of system as opposed to gambling, where it costs just 1 token per game with a chance of getting more, although I later thought that being able to choose how much you input determines how much you win. You put 10 tokens in at once with a chance at winning 100, for example. That’s definitely more of your typical gambling so I purposefully didn’t include it. Although, we already have a lottery game which is, while cheap and almost never used, still a form of gambling.

Yes though, they are all, in a sense, gambling. That’s why I also proposed that Capture the Flag and the Winden Snowball game also offered Game Tokens for participation and more for winning. As previously mentioned, a button maze game could be a nice idea as a way to get some ‘free’ tokens. To stop it being abused I’d say have multiple maps so they can’t easily be memorised and have a timer (make use of the wind or something) and/or perhaps limit it’s daily usage somehow. A maximum of three runs per day for example.
One I recently thought of was a ‘21’ type game but I’m not sure how it could be presented.

I’m sure if we all put our heads together we can think of many more fun mini-games to help pass the time and that could be used to earn currency. If the suggestion is taken into consideration then the prize list most definitely needs to be thought through by people who know the value of items, as opposed to me who just put whatever. Haha.

Sounds cool! Money sinks are always good, especially in games like PMU where it’s so easy to get a ton of Poke quickly. I don’t know if I like the free tokens for CTF and snowball games, though, because groups of friends could get together to make CTF games and let one side win to get a ton of game tokens easily. Not to mention if it gave 10 tokens to each player on the winning team, that’s giving out 50k worth of items per player, assuming 5k is how much a singular token is worth. Rather than having tokens be the currency btw, maybe it should be tickets? That way you actually have to play the games to get prizes, instead of just being able to buy a bunch of tokens then buy the prizes. (So sort of like an arcade, I guess?)

As far as ideas for the way the slot machine works, maybe it could work similarly to a real slot machine, where the tokens that are put in are added to a total that the person who gets a Jackpot receives? Imo that’d make the experience of the slot machine a bit more exciting. Maybe only 1/2 or 1/3 of the tokens people put in would go towards the Jackpot, though? That way it still functions as a money sink.

Of course, this is all just nitpicking, since I imagine the staff would know how to balance everything out anyways. Overall, love the idea. I think it’d be super fun! :]