Nimble Band

Recently I have been thinking about a potential new item to add to PMU. I call it the Nimble Band.

Description: A held item that increases the wearer’s movement speed by 1.

The inspiration of this idea came to my when I thought about the fact that not all Pokemon have the potential to boost their speed. Some Pokemon can do it via Speed Boost while others require items such as certain gems and family items. Many players enjoy having that extra speed, but I can only imagine the pain of not having that potential of your favorite Pokemon for a speed run or training run. This could allow earlier access to that extra speed without having to recruit Yanma in the beginning of the game. This could also help those who don’t want to use their Event Tokens on a gem if they are collecting globes.

The Nimble Band does have its drawbacks, however. For example, this has to be held which prevents you from holding other good items such as Safety Goggles, Tight Belt, or Miracle Chest. Players would be sacrificing other benefits in order to move faster. I do understand that we have Gems and family items to be used by most Pokemon later making the Nimble Band less useful. Again, not all Pokemon get that availability to speed boosting items currently. Not all gems give speed, so any Pokemon that doesn’t have the right typing will not have that chance. Also, the movement speed boost with gems require a specific weather. If a player doesn’t want to use that weather, then the gem’s effect isn’t as useful. I have dealt with this in the example of my Tyrantrum. The Stone Gem boosts movement speed for rock types in a sandstorm. While a sandstorm can be beneficial, most players will find it a burden because of the visual effects blocking vision a bit. While there is an item in the Tanren Undercity to remove that vision blocking, it also has to be held, ruining the point of the gem’s usefulness. Also, don’t forget about how the Shadow Gem requires Foggy weather which is another visual burden. Another example of a gem with a bad weather requirement is the Thunder Gem. This gem required Cloudy weather. Cloudy weather isn’t very common and can’t be manipulated without the Cloudy Rock which has to be help by a Pokemon on your team. This isn’t as bad as the Stone Gem or Shadow Gem but still requires an extra item to hunt for.

The current gems that don’t give movement speed are as follows:
White Gem (Normal)
Fiery Gem (Fire)
Aqua Gem (water)
Icy Gem (Ice)
Poison Gem (Poison)
Earth Gem (Ground)
Psyche Gem (Psychic)
Guard Gem (Bug)
Dragon Gem (Dragon)
Dark Gem (Dark)
Metal Gem (Steel)
Pixie Gem (Fairy)

As you can see, 12 of the 18 gems don’t give a movement speed boost. This means that if the Pokemon used is only these types, then they very likely don’t have access to double speed, except for a few special cases such as family items.

This is why I feel that the Nimble Band would be a good solution. This would allow any Pokemon to have the access to improved movement speed at the cost of using a held item.

With this great benefit comes a down side. You can’t hold any other held items you may already like using. Some of the common useful held items include, Miracle Chest, Safety Goggles, Tight Belt, and Stamina Band. The choice lies within the players to decide which benefit they would rather have. I’m certain that the Nimble Band could be useful for certain scenarios. For example, lets say someone is on a time crunch and need to get through a dungeon really fast. With the Nimble Band, dungeons could be rushed faster. Also, if a player is nearly surrounding in a room, they can run away before getting trapped. With higher speed, a player could rush through dungeons if they are hunting items such as slates or for certain Deluxe Box items.

With this would also bring up another debate: Which is better for training? Nimble Band or Miracle Chest?

A Miracle Chest automatically boosts exp each kill. On the other side, The Nimble Band allows player to move faster for quicker kills. Both can be used for training base on preferences if the player is forced to only use one or the other due to a useless gem.

In summary, I feel like the Nimble Band would be a useful item to add to PMU with many benefits in certain situations for those who normally can’t get that improved movement speed they want. I would love to hear feedback from both perspectives from players and staff.

Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion and have a nice rest of your day.

Very well explained! I am in favor of this suggestion.

"Also, the movement speed boost with gems require a specific weather. If a player doesn’t want to use that weather, then the gem’s effect isn’t as useful. I have dealt with this in the example of my Tyrantrum. The Stone Gem boosts movement speed for rock types in a sandstorm. While a sandstorm can be beneficial, most players will find it a burden because of the visual effects blocking vision a bit. While there is an item in the Tanren Undercity to remove that vision blocking, it also has to be held, ruining the point of the gem’s usefulness. Also, don’t forget about how the Shadow Gem requires Foggy weather which is another visual burden. Another example of a gem with a bad weather requirement is the Thunder Gem. This gem required Cloudy weather. Cloudy weather isn’t very common and can’t be manipulated without the Cloudy Rock which has to be help by a Pokemon on your team. This isn’t as bad as the Stone Gem or Shadow Gem but still requires an extra item to hunt for. "

i think you explained quite poorly (dont think its even a valid point) because i dont believe anyone(at least 99%) actually uses sand stream instead of smooth rock and before you say “not everyone has a smooth rock” have you thought about the fact that nimble band will (most likely) be harder to get than a weather rock?
Did you know:all ice types get speed boost in snowy weather

the real question is do you actually need speed boost to train?

I really like this suggestion! I’ve always liked the speed boost on PMU, but I’m not too far into the game, so I can really only get it from using pokemon with abilities that give one, or quick seeds and gummis. The Stamina Band is probably the item I use the most, but if the Nimble Band was added, I imagine I’d choose it instead in the majority of cases. I’d really love a way to make training a bit faster too, it can get boring pretty fast, imo.

hmm…All this time and no staff reply on this. It would be nice to get some staff opinion on this idea before it truly dies. if there are a considerable number of players who like the idea then maybe it shouldn’t be overlooked?