[Event/Minigame Suggestion] King of the Hill

Here’s an idea I thought up that might be crazy enough to work, and I think it’d be a lot of fun. As the title implies, this would be a large-scale PvP minigame that players could partake in for fun, maybe even as part of the weekly events. It should be noted that as of right now only Exbel and Winden have minigames in their regions (CTF and Snowball Fight, respectively).

[hr][/hr]
Rules/Gameplay

Entry conditions/restrictions:

• [li]All players are set to the same level (likely level 50).
    [/li]
    [li]Players may only have one Pokemon in their party.
    [/li]
    [li]Only the item being held by your active Pokemon can be taken inside the game (all other items will be sent to storage, space permitting). This rule may be omitted at the discretion of staff if it’s needed to preserve game balance, but I think having one item wouldn’t be quite so bad…
    [/li]

Goals of the game:

• [li]Occupy the special space in the center of the map, and keep your opponents off of the hill.
    [/li]
    [li]You’ll earn points over time while you remain alive on the hill (either through time-based ticks or by defeating enemies while on the hill).
    [/li]
    [li]If your Pokemon faints, you’ll be able to respawn in a safe section of that map (similar to how the arena will respawn you when you forfeit) and be able to rush back into the fight.
    [/li]
    [li]Once a certain number of points is reached, the winner is declared!
    [/li]

This minigame can be either free-for-all or team-based (would like to see both options available, ideally). It’d require a bit of coding work to create tiles with new attributes, since I’m not aware of anything right now that would work for the hill. It would also probably be ideal to create randomized respawns for a free-for-all, though you could just have a few pre-set locations to respawn at and then just assign each player to one of these spots for the whole game.

Feel free to leave feedback, suggest additional ideas, et cetera. Thanks for reading!

well with PvP as unbalanced as it is now(it was never balance)? i dont think its a good idea unless you put an annoyingly amount of restrictions on moveset

Seems like an interesting enough idea but I agree that there would likely be balancing issues.Perhaps instead of using our usual combat system, have something completely unique.
Levels can be made equal inside the game but the stat differences still give certain players an edge, not to mention the better items the more experienced players can get. The good thing about CTF and the snowball game is that your level doesn’t matter, neither does the Pokemon you play as.

• I propose that instead, as soon as you enter the game, all of your moves are temporarily removed and you get one of them turned into Whirlwind.
    From then on you ‘fight’ to keep your territory by using Whirlwind to push others off of the space.
    It will force them to the very edge of the arena at which point traps will immediately kill them or force them out of the game. This way you’d have to rely on strategy and skill, baiting people to use the move to dodge and retaliate or perhaps forcing them to run out of pp first.
    Obviously, some abilities can benefit from this so they’d also have to be nullified somehow.

I believe this would allow for the game to be accessible to all players regardless of their level. Like all other minigames and events, it just needs a little bit of practice to get the hang of it.

Of course, if it was a free-for-all, it would be chaotic and numbers would drop drastically in just the first few seconds and with those players pooling back in it’d stay just as mad and probably won’t allow for a winner unless the number of participants drop. For that reason I think it should be held in sessions where the players cannot re-enter once they’ve died. Perhaps give them a number of lives but then they might abuse that by standing and waiting for other players to lose lives before jumping back in themselves with more chances.

My suggestion is that, like the other two games, this one be team based. However, my idea for this doesn’t really reflect the traditional game that’s referenced and, in my opinion, is even more like ctf unfortunately. This is just a suggestion though.

• The players are split into two teams. One being the ‘defenders’ and the other being ‘attackers’.
    The attackers start near the edges of the arena and must work together to stand in the very centre. The defenders start closer to the middle and work in keeping the other team out.
    There will be a timer for each game. In the form of the ‘mysterious wind’ perhaps.
    In order for the attackers to win, at least four/five of their players must stand on the innermost tile at the same time. For the defenders to win, they must keep the attackers at bay for the entirety of the match.
  • Since it’s time based, defeated players could be allowed to reenter but regardless of your team, you’d respawn at the edge of the map so defenders would have to make their way back or choose to pick attackers off from further away.
    This’ll stop a defender suddenly spawning in the middle area to surprise kill anyone.
    To stop spawn camping you spawn on a random tile around the entire edge.

Communication is always important in team games and during a round it can be difficult to talk and come up with strategies.

• CTF has a helpful team chat function and that can be used for this too.

Additionally, for a minute or two before a map each team can be teleported to a sort of ‘waiting area’ for their teams where they can share tactics before the match so they can have some kind of plan rather than trying to establish an order during the match itself.

Voice chat would be incredibly helpful for something like this and that can be used through the PMU Discord but not everyone is willing to join or even has Discord to use it. That’s why I think this kind of planning phase would be better.

This format can also be adapted to events, with the staff playing defenders and the other players being attackers. The five to land in the middle tile winning prizes.