Spriting Guide

If you want to help PMU by contributing sprites, here is a quick guide to how it works:

-=Pokemon Sprites=-

This is the format that PMU uses for pokemon sprites.

A Pokemon spritesheet is made of 14 frames. The frames can be whatever size the spriter chooses, but usually it’s 32 by 64. Example below:

Each numbered sprite corresponds to a certain pose:

The first three frames are for when the sprite is facing up.

1. Walking upwards
  2. Standing upwards
  3. Attacking upwards

The second 3 frames are for when the sprite is facing down.
4) Standing downwards
5) Walking downwards
6) Attacking downwards

The third 3 frames are for when the sprite is facing left (<-)
7) Walking to the left
8) Standing to the left
9) Attacking to the left

The fourth 3 frames are for when the sprite is facing right (->)
10) Standing to the right
11) Walking to the right
12) Attacking to the right

*You can usually flip right and left frames, but not always. Some pokemon such as Absol and Sneasel are asymmetrical.

The last two frames are for the pokemon’s sleeping animation.
It does not matter what goes into either frame, as long as they’re different frames of the same sleeping animation.

In most spritesheets containing PMD sprites, pokemon may have both a regular and special attack animation.
You can choose which one to use for “attacking animation”, but just make sure it’s the same attacking animation for all 4 directions.

When sprites are placed on the sheet, they must be at the center and around the bottom of each frame.
This is to make sure all the pokemon appear to be standing on the same row. If the pokemon levitates, you could pull it up a few pixels.

It is often a good idea to use guide rectangles, such that you can accurately measure the positioning of each individual frame. See example below:

When you are done, however, you must remove all boxes. This can be done easily by setting the background color of the picture to the color of the box’s border (select eye dropper tool, and right-click on the box’s border color),
copying the entire spritesheet (CTRL+A selects it all), copying it (CTRL+C), deleting it (CTRL+X or the Delete button), filling the void with white space, and pasting the image back while having the transparent background option selected.

Lastly, make sure the sprites animate smoothly. You can test this by pasting one frame on top of the other, and flipping back and forth with CTRL+Z and CTRL+Y (undo and repeat).

Spriting resource: http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pkm … index.html

Takes out Paint lets see what u can do.

Edit: The download link contains;
#128 - Taruos
#206 - Dunsparce
#227 - Skarmory
#293 - Whismur
#294 - Loudred
#295 - Exploud
#314 - Illumise
#321 - Wailord
#367 - Tropius
#376 - Metagross
#452 - Drapion

Here are all the Pokemon missing sprites for now ~ Anyone can do them if they’re bored or feel like helping out. :3

PS: Sorry if any of the names are spelled wrong, I spelled them the best way I could. :c

#128 - Taruos
#206 - Dunsparce
#227 - Skarmory
#293 - Whismur
#294 - Loudred
#295 - Exploud
#313 - Volbeat
#314 - Illumise
#321 - Wailord
#367 - Tropius
#376 - Metagross
#412 - Burmy
#413 - Wormadam
#452 - Drapion

Here is Illumise I put it into a .zip file there is 1 with the graph on it and 1 without the graph

Download Illumise.zip

kool!

I beleive that’s a volbeat, not illumise.

Here you go.

[spoilerDunsparce:1nt519i1]

[/details]

I has 2! Here ya go!

[spoilerEkans:pkz331hv]

[/details]
[spoilerArbok:pkz331hv]

[/details]

I can’t see the both of them. ._.;

Here’s an Illumise Sprite~ OwO

Here are the Wormadam Sprites:

Plant Cloak Wormadam:

Trash Cloak Wormadam:

Sandy Cloak:

erm I think alex dono already did all these

ohs noes…
O-O

thanks for the heads up Kirk!

hides tropius sheet

Ohmai oWo How do you make these? I can’t even do the first step i’m such a noob I don’t know how to make any sprites on here XD

I recently had help from GiZmo and Dandy who taught me how to do it. Its actually quite simple.
I personally use MS Paint, but others like GIMP and Photoshop. (its all about preference, as long as the out come is the same, there is no problem).

1.Save the blank spriting boxes given in this guide.
2. Open them with paint.

1. Find a website which has PMD type Pokemon Sprites, I was given this site: http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pkmndungeon2/
    it is a good, well organized spriting resource ^^
  2. Save the spriting sheet of the specific Pokemon Pokemon you want sprite.
  3. Then also open that in paint.
  4. Make the background of the spriting sheet, from the website, white.
  5. Then cut out each individual sprite and place in the correct box. Use the spriting guide for further instructions.
  6. Your outcome should look like the examples. Good luck~.

Sorry if this just confused you more, it was sloppily put together o.o;

haha i didnt know if i was suppopsed to do a pokemon on that list so i just did a random pokemon :3

ELECTIVIRE RULES!!! >:3 :D

did i make it to big?

(electrizer) hehehe waiting for it to come out :3

Haha nice ^-^ It looks you did a good job.
Sadly though I think they have finished all the sprites… xD

Ohh Haha thats ok it didnt take that long, i dont believe that they got done with EVERY single pokemon sprite, id be happy to do more ^^ if i have some free time

Ohh Haha thats ok it didnt take that long

O.O i’m not understanding oh well thank you though :3