A Guide to Effective Mapping (WIP)

A . G u i d e . t o . M a p p i n g !
(A Work in Progress)

Hello, and welcome to the Guide on how to make maps and much more! I am your host… Char! ;D

I have moved this mapping guide to this new thread for organizational purposes; here is a link to the original guide: How to Map Effectively

Goals of this Guide:

-To teach the basics of mapping.
-To show different mapping techniques.
-To give hints on various mapping styles.
-Help you develop your mapping skills.

Before I begin this guide, I would like to give you some information about myself!
Though I am making a guide to mapping, I am not a perfect mapper myself, and I am definitely not an expert. BUT, mapping is definitely a passion of mine, and I love to see new mappers grow and learn the ropes. So as my mapping skills develop and I learn more, I hope to expand this guide, and extend what I have learned on to you! And if you have any tips and ideas to how I can make this guide better, feel free to give your input; I would love to hear it!

Update Log
Updates will be dated and recorded here.

Nov. 23rd, 2011 - Began writing Guide
Nov. 26th, 2011 - Created Example Houses
Nov. 27th, 2011 - Submitted Guide, Made organizational/technical changes, few player advice additions
Nov. 28th, 2011 - More organizational/technical changes, more player advice additions
Nov. 30th, 2011 - More organizational technical changes, more Common Errors, Added Perception section, added more to cliff section, and more mapping advice.
Dec. 4th, 2011 - Height Perception section was added. (Under Perception)
Dec. 21st, 2011 - Shadow section was added. (Under Perception)
Jan. 10th, 2012 - Perspective view was added (Under Perception), updated ToC, fixed errors.
June 21st, 2012 - Moved Topic, added separate segments for organization, and reworded sections.
April 30th, 2013 - Updated guide to housing center and added a title.
July 28th, 2015 - Finished adding each section.

Table of Contents:
THE TABLE OF CONTENTS LINKS TO EACH SECTION FOR EASY ACCESS.

I. Understanding the Editor
-Commands

A. Where things are
a. Terrain
b. Attributes
c. Music
d. Save House
e. Take Screenshot
f. Exit

II. Layer by Layer Mapping
Analogies
A. Ground
a. What it is.
b. Tips
B. Mask
a. What it is.
b. Tips
C. Mask 2
a. What it is.
b. Tips
D. Fringe
a. What it is.
b. Tips
E. Fringe 2
a. What it is.
b. Tips
F. Attributes
G. REVIEW!

III. Tileset Rundown (Terrain)
A. Tileset 0
B. Tileset 1
C. Tileset 2
D. Tileset 3
E. Tileset 4
F. Tileset 5
G. Tileset 6
H. Tileset 7
I. Tileset 8
J. Tileset 9
K. Tileset 10

IV. Attributes
A. Types and What they do.
a. Blocked
b. Notice (Map Editor only)
c. Heal (Map Editor only)
d. Guild Block (Map Editor only)
e. NPC Avoid (Map Editor only)
f. Sign (Map Editor only)
g. Kill (Map Editor only)
h. Level Block (Map Editor only)
B. Settings
a. Map Grid
b. Attributes
c. Drag and Place

V. Animation
A. How they work
a. Water
b. Normal Items
c. Rain/Snow
d. Other Examples

VI. Perspective
A. Waterfalls over Cliffs
B. Objects beside Cliffs
C. Height Perspectives
D. Perspective View
E. Shadows

VII. Biomes

VIII. CLIFFS ( <3 )
A. Height Consistency
B. Attachments
C. Connecting Cliffs

IX. Common Mistakes

X. Creative Techniques

XI. Advice
A. Observe
B. Explore
C. Get Inspired
D. Ideas

XII. Thank You for Reading

All of these things may not be added yet, and there is definitely more to come. So keep an eye out!

Now to get things started!
To get to your house:

Step 1. Pelibird Building
To begin, you either need to be in your house or be using the PMU Map Editor. You can access your house by entering the Pelibird house located in the SouthWest part of town.

Guide to Pelipper Building

Step 2. Housing Center
Once in the housing center, enter the hole and click “Visit my House”.

Guide to “My House”

and ¡Voila! You have arrived at YOUR PMU HOUSE! And that means the fun is just beginning!

I. Understanding the Map Editor

First things first; the commands of your house are:
/edithouse - This command opens up the map editor. (only in your home)
/leavehouse - The command that allows you to leave any PMU house.

Now you know the basic functions to get started, but it is important to understand each part of the map editor to map to your full extent!

A. Where things are and what they do

a. Terrain image

Terrain Image

The area on the left is the terrain portion of the map editor. Terrain refers to any mapping tiles you may be placing. To begin mapping, click the tile on the left you want to use, then click a tile on your map to place it there.

Tip: By holding your mouse and dragging it across your map, it can place that tile wherever you take your mouse. This allows for quicker additions.

There are 11 different tilesets to choose from; each tileset holds different types of tiles. (Such as Dungeon, Indoor, Overworld, Background, etc.)

b. Attributes image

Attributes Image

The area on the left is the attributes portion of the map editor in game. The only attributes available in game are blocks. To use them, just click on the tiles on your map you wish to block; if done correctly a capital B should appear on the tile. As the name hints, any tile where the block is added, that tile is then barred for players to pass.

c. Music

Opening Music

To open the music selection, scroll over the “Mapping” button in the bottom left corner, then click the button labeled “Music” at the top of that bar to make the selection window pop up.
Music is an often forgotten part of a house, but I believe it adds that extra bit of flare to it, bringing the theme and house together. There are many different songs to choose from, so it should not be too much of a problem selecting a song that fits your house.

d. Save House

Opening "Save House"

If you would like to save the house you are working on, click the “Save House” button. This saves your progress, closes the map editor, and allows you to explore your house freely.
If there is a lot of lag, saving a house may take a long time. Though, its a good idea to save frequently in case something causes you to lose progress.

e. Take Screenshot

Opening "Take Screenshot"

To take a screenshot of only the house, without the chat/sidebar/other accessories, click the “Take Screenshot” button under “Mapping”. You have the option to include grid lines and attributes as well, but players, including you, will not be in the screenshot. After you select which kind of screenshot you want to take, it will open your PMU files where you can then select where to save your screenshot. I would suggest going into you screenshots and giving it a separate name. You can then move it from there later.

Another way to take screenshots is F11. This will take a screenshot of the whole client (chat, sidebar, etc.) as you see it. And it does include the players in it. This does not work while the map editor is open though.

To access these screenshots open “My Computer” then follow these directions:
The Folder is in C: -> Program Files -> Pokemon Mystery Universe -> Client -> Screenshots

If you want to show the screenshot to other people you can just upload to an image hosting site, and post the direct URL.

f. Exit

Clicking Exit

To exit the Map Editor you can click the button “Exit” under mapping. This will delete all the progress you have made since opening the Map Editor. So, if you have nothing to save, or wish to delete what you have been working on, the exit button is your friend.

II. Layer By Layer Mapping
Layers Under:image

I have heard several analogies used to describe the layers of housing to help people understand the concept better.
But the bottom line is: Work your way from the bottom up. You are building a house; you cannot make a roof before you have a floor. When you begin your map, you are basically starting from nothing.

Some helpful analogies Include:

Pizza - Each layer of mapping is like a part of a Pizza.
Ground = Crust
Mask (1 and 2) = Sauce
Fringe (1 and 2) = Cheese/Toppings (you can never go wrong with cheese)

Anyways, to make a (classic) Pizza, you must have a solid bottom/crust. Obviously you cannot put the sauce or cheese on first. Apply that to mapping, you must begin with a solid base/GROUND.
Then you begin putting the sauce on. As you do this, you see less and less of the ground. Again, you cannot put the cheese on before the sauce. You work your way up.
Finally you put the cheese/toppings on, that is the final layer.
Obviously whatever you put on last, is going to be on top.
That is why it is good to work up in mapping, Fringe 2 is always going to be on the very top and ground is always going to be on the very bottom, no matter which way you put it.

Clothes -

Here I will describe what should be done whilst mapping; layer by layer. With me making a map along with it to further illustrate the process.

A. Ground
As soon as you have an idea of what kind of house you are building and a plan to what it is going to look like, then you can begin the house. An easy way to do ground, is to pick one tile that is going to fill the ground for majority of your map. After it is picked, go under Layers and click the button fill.
This should fill your map.

Then for smaller parts that have a different ground, you can do that by hand. (like water or different sections).
You should be done with your ground layer now. If you have water as any of ground, go ahead and complete the animation.

Ground Example House:

Here I chose the green/yellow grass tile as my main ground. Later I went and added some water ground tiles.

B. Mask
The Mask (1 and 2) layers are the layers you can walk on top of/in front of.

This is where you begin adding the outline to your house. Where cliffs go, where rivers/ponds/lakes go, and sometimes grass.

These are examples of how the Mask layer progresses.

Mask A Example House:

Do one section at a time. If you begin an outline of something (mine is the river), finish it. You can always edit it later.

Mask B Example House:

Mask C Example House:

If you have the same tile in several places, do that at once, instead of continuously
switching between tiles.

Mask D Example House:

Mask E Example House:

Sections include different sections of cliff. Don’t start one cliff and go to work on another in the middle.

Mask F Example House:

C. Mask 2
Mask 2 is where you begin to add in the details. More grass, trees, rocks, flowers, signs, bridges, logs, etc.
When adding these things, make sure to have them scattered about, so they look random. The idea is to make it look as natural as possible! (unless of course its a map that has deliberately planted and placed things.)

Mask 2A Example House:

As you can see, I only did the bottoms of trees, large rocks, signs, and other large objects. This is because the tops are being saved for fringe.

Mask 2B Example House:

Tip: Scroll through different tilesets looking for things that fit your theme and map. Tileset 7 is an excellent one for outdoor maps.

D. Fringe
The Fringe layers are what you walk behind.
Fringe is where you add things such as tops of trees, tops of rocks, fronds.

Fringe A Example House:

Do not think that all details are added in Mask 1 and 2. There are a few things that are one tile only or just meant to be walked behind that can be added in this tileset.

Fringe B Example House:

E. Fringe 2
Usually I do not use Fringe 2. I only use it when I have more than one thing I need to Fringe on the same tile. So for whichever thing is suppose to be on top/forward you should make that Fringe 2.
Sometimes there are 3 things that may fall on the tile that need to be Fringed, but when that happens, something needs to be moved.
Also I would recommend Fringe 2 being used for Rain/Snow animations. This way it is on top of everything and you can erase it easily.

F. Attributes
In game, the only attribute available is Block.

Do Blocks last. This was you can do it all at once, if you do them to early, you will add things/delete things and will have to change your blocks.

Block Example House:

Remember pathways in cliffs are unblocked and fringed.

G. REVIEW!
Always assume you have made a mistake. Walk around your house, look for small errors of any kind. They could be blocking errors or layering errors, etc.
But do not just look for errors! Look to see if you have pulled your theme together well.
You may have overloaded your map. (as I tend to do)
Or under-loaded it, making it look just like an outline.

Review Example House:

Its always a good idea to get a second opinion. Get someone else to look around your house to give you a fresh point of view.

Finished Layer by Layer Guide Example:

III. Tileset Rundown (Terrain)

Where tileset is located

A. Tileset 0

Mostly older non-PMU graphics. But it is mixed with a few general things (cliff, table, signs, houses, etc.)

B. Tileset 1

Mostly backdrops and backgrounds, but also has a few clouds and lightning animations.

C. Tileset 2

Rugs, small tents/houses/stands, windmill, fountain.

D. Tileset 3

Crystals and lily pads, pond items.

E. Tileset 4

Dungeon tiles and trap tiles.
Remember that most dungeon tiles corners are separate. So you will have to put them on a different layer.

F. Tileset 5

Buildings Outside is the title. Non-PMU tiles, Castle type things.

G. Tileset 6

Non-PMU plants, trees, cliffs, waterfalls/water tiles, snow tiles.

H. Tileset 7

Popular PMU outside exbel type tiles of all types (except dark).

I. Tileset 8

Popular PMU houses, inside things, Poke dolls, flags.

J. Tileset 9

Few dungeon tiles, tileset 7 and 8 mix, dark tiles.

K. Tileset 10

Plants, colorful spots, hail, rain.

IV. Attributes
A. Types and What they do.
a. Block
As the name suggests, blocked tiles block/stop players from accessing that certain tile.

b. Notice (Must be paid for)
When a player walks across a notice, a “notice” pops up in their chat. There are two parts of the notice, the Top and the Bottom.
c. Heal (Not available to players as of 2013)
This tile will heal players HP only, not the PP.
d. Guild Block (Not available to players as of 2013)
Will only allow players who are a part of a certain guild to pass this block. It will act as a normal block tile to players outside of the guild.
e. NPC Avoid (Not available to players as of 2013)
NPCs (wild Pokemon) will avoid these marked areas. This is what is used on paths.
f. Sign (Must be Paid for)
A sign allows for 3 sections to add text. Press enter to read a sign from the tile below. Unlike a notice, the sign also acts as a block.
g. Kill (Not available to players)
As the name suggests, any player who walks on this tile faints.
h. Level Block (Not available to players)
This is the tile that is used in front of certain dungeons. Only Pokemon of a certain level will be able to pass this tile. This tile will act as a block to Pokemon below the lvl indicated.

B. Settings (4th section of Map Editor)

a. The Map Grid
This allows the grid lines, while in the map editor, to be visible or not. When the box is unchecked, they are invisible.

Tip: Remove grid lines while still in the map editor, to check on how things are progressing!

b. Attributes
This allows the attributes sign (Red Capital B for Blocked), while in the map editor, to be visible or not. When the box is unchecked, they are invisible.

C. Drag and Place
This allows you to drag your mouse across your map and place the tile. When unchecked you can only place one tile at a time.

Tip: Use this when placing the same tile, such as cliff sides. It makes mapping much quicker!

V. Animation
A. How they work
Basically how animation works, is taking one tile, then replacing it with another one, causing the effect of “it” moving.
You know a tile has animation, when you see almost identical tiles with small differences.
a. Water
Pick one water tile: http://i44.tinypic.com/117zmon.png
then click the animation box:

Animation Box

Pick another different water tile: image
and you should have a working water animation! This works on any layer, but ideal for ground.
When animating water, do not forget to animate the tiles that are mostly covered as well.
b. Normal Things
Same as water tiles.
vs.
For bigger images, you have to put all parts of the image, then click the animation button, and then put all parts of the 2nd image.
Usually use Mask or Mask 2 for these.

c. Rain/Snow (tileset 10)
Take a “raindrop tile” and randomly scatter them across your map. Then click the animation box, choose a blank tile and click on all your raindrops, so they seem to be dissappearing.
Then scatter more raindrops in places further down (still with the animation box checked).
And you should have a raindrop animation! Usually use Fringe 2 for this.

Example Rain:

Rain 1

Rain 2

VI. Perspective
Your sense of perception is very important when you are mapping. You have to look through the eyes of your player to see what things would be from their point of view. If this is done, certain mistakes can be easily avoided.

Here are a few examples to explain this point:

A. Waterfalls Over Cliffs
When a waterfall goes over a cliff, it is going straight down, unless you put stops in between. If you add something between the waterfall and the water where it splashes it must be small enough to go over. Adding more cliffs in between would be too large to just pass over without a stop.

Tip: Also make sure the waterfall is the same height as the cliff.

Example Image Explanations:

Incorrect:
To a player, here the waterfall would appear slanted, shooting directly from the opening to the water. This is visually incorrect, if a stop in between were added, it could be okay.

Correct:
The waterfall is correctly passing down the cliff side without any large obstructions in its way, making it visually correct.

B. Objects Beside Cliffs:
When you have a objects beside a cliff, usually its side should be hidden. This is because that side would be behind the cliff, and therefore hidden from a player"s point of view.

Incorrect:
As you can see in the image, the left side of the tree is “in front” of the cliff. But because it is a square behind the cliff front, it should be “behind” the cliff.

Correct:
Here the tree side is correct “behind” the cliff and hidden from view.

This does not only refer to trees though, it can also refer to: foam on waterfalls, larger rocks, plants, etc. Overall larger objects.

C. Height Perspectives
One way to emphasize how high up something is, is by making the bottom look like everything has shrunk. It is all perception; things have not really shrunk, but you have just used really small trees and made a very skinny river and such. It is a little difficult to explain, but this image should be enough explanation.

See how I made the river look very skinny? This way it looked as if we were really on top of the clouds, and the river just looked small because we up at such a high height. Same goes for the trees.

Here are a couple more examples of perception provided by Dandy.
Such as how you can make the camera appear at a higher angle by making a high, mountainous map. Whereas a low one would just be plain flat.
as an example;

High Perspective

Lower Perspective

D. Perspective View
Hight perspective is not the only way to manipulate perception. Another interesting one is distance perception.

Here is a perspective view created by Riche:

By using the variations in the sizes of the trees, one is able able to create effect of looking further and further into the distance. Also the river getting skinnier as it goes further up the map add to the effect.

E. Shadows
Shadows are a tough addition to any house. When adding shadows to a house, you must look first at the source of light. When adding shadows, looking at real life shadows for examples can help a lot to determine how large they should be and which direction they should go.
For example, if the light source is all the way to the right, low in the sky, then the shadows will be long and going to the left.

Example Image Explanation:

On the right side of this image, you can see some shadow examples, though they are not very well done.

VII. Biomes
A. Mountainous
Please check Section VIII for the guide to making a mountain-like map, as they are one of the most complex types to make.

–other biomes to be added later–

VIII. CLIFFS ( <3 )

Personally, cliffs are my absolute favorite part of mapping, but sadly, they are the most commonly messed up thing.
By themselves, they are pretty simple, but when you begin to complicate things and make them more intricate, that is when things begin to look ugly.

When making cliffs, try to add some shape and form to them! When you look into nature, you do not see many square cliffs. You can apply to anything in your map really, square things are usually a big no no. Not only does it make your map seem more realistic but it makes it more interesting as well!

A. Height Consistency
The height of a cliff, (number of tiles high), must be consistent throughout that section.

Incorrect:
Because it changes to 2 or 3 in the middle of the cliff, the height is not consistent, making the cliffs wrong.

Correct:
All the cliffs are 3 tiles high, since there are no additions, this is correct.

B. Additions
Original Cliff Height - Attachment Cliff Height = New Cliff Height
When you attach a cliff to another cliff, the attachment must the be the height that it subtracted.

Incorrect:
The bottom cliff edges are not the correct tile.
Since the attachment cliff is taking two tiles away from the cliff, it should be two tiles high.

Correct:

Even if the attachment is not fully connected, the cliff height still needs to be subtracted from each cliff past that point.

Incorrect:
The cliff height should be 2 there, since the cliff below is taking away one tile height.

Correct:
This one correctly subtracts the height from the original cliff.

C. Connecting Cliffs
To connect cliffs by bridge, they need to be the same height.

Incorrect:
One cliff"s height is 4, while the other is only 2.

Correct:
One cliff’s height is 4, and the other’s overall height is also 4. So the bridge works.

D. Cliff Corners
Do not forget cliff corners!
Missing cliff corners are probably the most common error associated with cliffs, which is also the easiest to fix. Whenever mapping cliffs keep tabs on your cliff corners, they can be very easily overlooked.

Incorrect:
Every missing cliff corner has been circled.

E. Cliff Holes
Cliff holes are a good way to add depth to a house!
When making a cliff hole, the back side (cliff height) of the cliff hole must be all visible, so the overall height of the hole is known.
Example Image:

A normal cliff hole is about this size.
This is the smallest size a cliff hole can be, but I would not advise using one of this size. Usually the rounded corners of the cliff holes look better.

F. Cliffs Facing each Other
Cliffs should not be “touching” front to back; this is if they are, then they are not the same height, but the image makes it look that way. This just causes problems with perception.
Basically it makes two cliffs of different heights, looks the same height.

Example Image Explanation:

Incorrect: image
One cliff has the height of one tile, while the other one has the height of 4 tiles, but still they are touching making them seem as if you could walk over them.
When this happens you will have to edit your cliff edges to separate them.

VIII. Common Mistakes

A. Cliffs
Mistakes usually multiply when cliffs are in the equation. To see common errors involving cliffs, go under => VIII. Cliffs.

B. Water Edges/Corners
When you add bodies of water into a map one big thing that you need to watch for is water edges/corners.
Because you adding a different ground into equation, it is easy to overlook the small things that are affected by the change.

So when you add water, make sure you change the corners and edges to water ground as well! (And don’t forget animation there too!)

Incorrect:
The edges and corners that have the incorrect (water) ground are circled.

Correct:
Here all the edges and corners have the correct ground. Not to mention they are animated.

This post is under construction. Check back later though!

X. Creative Techniques

A. Mixing Tiles:
Hiding parts of a tile can give the image of another tile. For example, most dungeon tiles do not have cliff edges, but if you block out the edges, it gives it the look of being a cliff!

Example House: Blocking Edges

XI. Advice
Here is some advice from various PMU players in no particular order.

Advice from Char

For normal sized maps it is a good idea to add more form to it than would normally be found if it was part of a larger map. This is because you are basically shrinking a big house down. This means more putting more form to a house! (but do not overload with too many details).
If you look at a 50x50 house, you will see much longer paths and sides.

One unspoken rule among mappers is no squares or at the least to a minimum. The idea is to make things seem natural, when looking in nature one does not find perfectly square lakes or mountains. Everything has some jagged looks to it.

Do not close your map into itself. This makes your house look smaller than it is. Leave open ends, as if the map really continues on on all sides. This is generally what newer mappers do, but remember your map is only a piece of a larger map. Make it so you could easily expand if needed.

Mapping is part of the game too, so have fun with it! You should want to explore your house after your done with it and spend time just sitting there taking in your work. Be proud of what you have done! :D
One thing I like to do, is add in lots of paths (hidden if I can); so venturing around my house is kind of an adventure.
To learn and get better:
A. Observe
One thing that really helped me get better when I first started mapping was watching others map. Seeing how they work and build their house. Or just looking at good maps and seeing where cliffs go and fit together.
B. Explore
Another thing that helped me was exploring the PMU world. Seeing first hand how tiles fit together, if I didn’t know how a waterfall worked, I could go down to a waterfall at the beach and see from there!
C. Get Inspired
One way to get inspired is to listen to music! I know a few people who listen to a song and base their house off of thier song. Other things to inspire you could be: Art, Landscapes, Books, Movies, etc.
D. Ideas
When you first begin, looking at other people"s houses is a good way to jump start your mapping career.
E. Outline
The best thing that helps me when I map is making an outline of my ideas. It makes sure I don"t stray from what I have set to do. It focuses you, this is especially good for a larger house.
F. Review
Always try and have other people look over your house and give you ideas. Having a fresh pair of eyes can do wonders.
G. Creativity
It is your house, so you can make it whichever way you want to! Usually you cannot mix dungeon tiles or other tiles in the actual PMU overworld, but in your own home, you can mix and match whatever you want!

Advice from Agunimon

1. Start by choosing a theme. Let your friends give you an idea! It can be broad like “Grassy” or it can be clear and specific like “Ruins in the Sky with an ocean in the background”. (Lolwutsuperlongtheme.)

2. Imaging what you"'e going to map before you map. It helps!

3. Seeing your map in your head, think of the tiles you are going to use for your map.

4. Consider what your map means, and what"s so unique about it.

5. Don’t think too hard. Let your hands / heart (lolcheap) do the work. ^^

A Few Dandy Tips:

-Don"t be afraid to do something different.
-Always check, check again, and re-check.
-Never be afraid of criticism.
-Practice, Practice, Practice.
-Try different tile sets, Don"t be afraid to mix them.
-Enjoy yourself!
~If it doesn"t please you, don"t keep it, try it again~

This topic is approved by: (Mapper) Dandy. P:

Tips from Andy:

The first thing you want to do is envision what you want to map. Are you mapping a dessert or tundra – perhaps a mountain, plain, or field? You"ll need to navigate PMU"s tilesets accordingly in order to find rational and logical tilesets. Always pay attention to detail. If you"re mapping a desert, make sure the water is as scarce as possible. The same goes for a mountain, however you can start with a moderate amount of water at the bottom and gradually lower the quantity as you ascend. With this, I"m sure you have the general viewpoint of mapping logically.

Now, when it comes to actually mapping, you may find it best if you plan out a path with the ground layer, depending on what it is you"re mapping. Following that, add your general structure ( such as cliffs ) and once you finish that entirely, go directly to decor. ( Do NOT forget cliff corners! ) Attributes should always go last in order to provide the necessary mobility you require throughout your map.

Consultation with ChaotixBluix

For aspiring and tested mappers, I hope to impart some advice:

1. Do NOT overuse the animation layers. It is like any spice for food. Regardless how you prepare and build it, too much will ruin your map. Good maps will only use enough to bring the map to life and no more.

2. This applies more to dungeon mappers than to housing mappers, but when you"re mapping… You are building the foundation for AN ENTIRE WORLD. Your universe is literally at the mercy of a SINGLE CLICK. Therefore, if you want your map to be good, as well as a fun place to be and explore, make room for the people that will be in it! If you"re not sure your map is at this point… Ask yourself this: Is your map a place where you and a couple of your friends/players would want to hang out in for 5 minutes?

3. Remember that maps don"t just have to be places. They can be expressions of yourself (anguish, happiness, and surprise are probably some of the easier ones), stories/narratives (PMU6 had some examples of this. People may remember the huge burning tree that was important in the various “The Crew Chronicles”), and even places for pure art (try spriting with tiles. It"s pretty cool).

4. Any good map can always be improved. Just because you think it is done now doesn"t mean that you can"t make it better later. You might get inspiration from someone else or new tiles might get released. See what you can do from time to time.

5. No one lives in a vacuum, and neither should your maps. Get feedback from others and give feedback in return. You will become a better mapper this way, help raise the bar of good mapping, and foster a better mapping community in the process.

XII. Thank you for Reading

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this guide. Hopefully you found it helpful! I will be regularly adding new things to this guide, so I am always looking for ways to improve this;things that you can do to help:

-Give me Ideas on things to add
-Your own personal tips on mapping
-Analogies you’ve heard/made
-Any confusing parts
-things i need to ficks; encluding mai grammer end speeling

If you would like to see other input/advice on mapping please this visit this excellent mapping guide!
Mapping 101 by Agunimon

You might have to ban hammer yourself for comment spam. O:
Ignoring that, I hope it has pretty colours and stuff to look at. :D

Very nice job so far…XDDD But why so many reservations?

Very nice job so far…XDDD But why so many reservations?

Post is under construction spam?
Anyways very helful guide for those new guys
:-)

Great Guide! but why that many post reservations?

Seems like a great guide~ I’m afriad you’ll also have to update it though, I miss the old grassroot 8C

Was gonna say that… :dot: