Surprises are lovely aren't they?

While playing through any Pokémon game, did you pick out a Pokémon who you wouldn’t normally go for, but thought you could try it out for a laugh? If so, put it here, and why it surprised you? Was it a disappointment or an overpowered beast!?

In my case it was Zangoose in White 2, I thought it would be mediocre, but it was amazing for it’s speed and offence!

Arcanine in White 2.
I was playing White 2, and I needed a Fire type on my team. I was at the second town, and I caught a Growlithe because I thought it was cute.
When I started using it, I was really surprised of the strength of it, and after it learned Outraeg I literally squealed.

Never judge a pokemon by it’s appearance

-A pokemon philosopher dude

I remember, in diamond, I chose piplup as my starter (when I restarted the game, since I got bored of it) and I didn’t evolve it to

try it out for a laugh

And what do you know I beat the elite four with that team. Piplup proved to be a cute, yet motivational pokemon to train, and perhaps I beat the elite four since I got it to lvl 92, and the rest of the team were legendary’s XD Oh boy, I enjoyed. Haha, this reminds me of the time when I played pokemon red for the first time, when it was released, oh good memories, I needed that, thanks swamp! c:

PS: Piplup is my starter most of the time.

Some of the new ones I’ve tried out in Black/White 2…

Just picked up a joltik, and so far it’s been treating me pretty well. I’m actually acranaphobic, so I thought the irony of me having one on a team would be funny. I originally wanted to replace ampharos because I’ve already used it way too many times, and thought joltik would come in handy in more situations since it’s a dual type. So far I’m liking the speed on mine and it should evolve fairly soon - so we’ll see how that goes. :la:

Psyduck/golduck is another I never used, but I ended up keeping my psyduck on my team and it’s been working great since he evolved (he used to faint a lot beforehand, but he’s proving himself now). Cloud Nine ability was awesome during the sandstorms in the desert. /ohyes/

First time using snivy - only 5th gen starter I haven’t tried yet. I kind of expected it to be fairly good though, so no surprise there.

I actually used minccino/ciccino once before, but the cinccino with skill link that I have now has literally been the powerhouse of my team so far. Tail slap and rock blast both OHKO almost anything, especially since he has a nature with a high attack stat. MAN. I raised minccino thinking it would probably just be that normal-type lurking in the bottom of my party, but it actually turned out to be the strongest I have at the moment. (I’m sure my servine and vibrava will catch up eventually when they evolve, but for now, that sweeping cinccino carries my team a lot… I mean, I literally had a battle the other day and my entire party except Cinccino was wiped out due to an opponent with maxed attack. That pokemon is my true love, I swear. :heart:)

Black 2 has surprised me far too many times. I tried to use the Pokemon I didn’t use in my White runthrough.

Instead of choosing Oshawott, I chose a Tepig, and my god. Fire / Fighting is almost unresisted, and it has great coverage. I added a Thunder Punch into my set, and now I can hit everything with normal damage. <3 It has crazy high Attack, and Hammer Arm / Flare Blitz are amazingly strong.

Golduck for me wasn’t that great. It was just too weak to do what I wanted it to do.

Sawsbuck was far better than I expected. It got Horn Leech and High Jump Kick under level 40.

Well, for me… It’d be my whole team in Pokemon Black. I uses Pokemin I didn’t like/never used before, and now like all of 'em!
Incase you were wondering, they were;

Crustle
Conkledurr
Amoonguss
Boufallant
Beartic
and Swanna.

Ampharos and Alteria, I caught them in the beginning of Black 2 and I don’t regret a thing. They’re really useful.

They were both under level 10 when I got them, and now their nearly level 100.

Knightfall signing off…

Well… My surprise is Lopunny/buneary. I started training Buneary for a joke, then ended up getting it to level 65. I then evolved it & got it too level 74. Yeah, I know it doesn’t have the best stats, or the greatest health, but it has a pretty good movepool, to be honest. It can have quite a few AOEs (Hypervoice, Round), quite a few LOS’s (Icebeam, Shadow Ball) and a few other great moves like Thunderbolt, Jump Kick, Thunder & Loads more. If you haven’t seen me around PMU with a Lopunny, I’m actually surprised. So yeah, That is my surprise.
-Blood.

In one of my 15 runs of my White 2 game; I decided to do a Randomlocke on

[details]
Challenge Mode

[/details].

I ended up catching a Deerling, and I was usually never fond of it, especially since my team was grass heavy at the moment(Ivysaur and Lombre), but I decided to use it for the lolz.

In the end, it became a powerhouse with Jump Kick and Horn Leech; and it swept through Grimsley and half of Marshall.

Never judge a book by its cover. Trust me on this one.

I still remember when I first used Crobat.
I was doing a Nuzlocke of Platinum back then and decided to train one just for fun, but when my Zubat got all the way up to Crobat he became one of my most favorite pokemon to use.
The hard training at beginning pays off!

All these responses! <3
Another interesting Pokémon was Pachirisu (Graham) in Platinum, it doesn’t have the greatest of stas but Super Fang and Spark became very useful.

In Black I decided to use an emolga for fun since I love electric types. It actually became my very first pokemon to get to 100. Its actually really strong. Its speed is its best asset.

On Pokémon White, i decided to train a team of Pokémon that don’t evolve. So eventually, i had a pretty great team. This was my team:

-Basculin, a very strong Pokémon, sweeping through gym leaders like there’s no tomorrow.
-Sawk, trolling every Pokémon in the game.
-Maractus, surprisingly strong with a Solarbeam set.
-Bouffalant, Megahorning it’s way through the League.
-Druddigon, absolutely DESTROYING Iris.
-Sigilyph, a random Pokémon at the bottom of my team. Was pretty strong though.

Please don’t revive dead topics, thanks!