Dungeon Crawling [v1.1]

Dungeon Crawling
The Golden Rules, Tips, and Tricks.

This guide is based on my own experiences and opinions. If you have a complaint or want to discuss something, comment below.
[hr][/hr]

Table of Contents

I : Introduction
An introduction to the guide and what it will attempt to cover.

II : Dress For Success
How to prepare before going into a dungeon; “Golden Rules”, Tips & Tricks.

III : Dungeoneering, Exploring, Dungeon Crawling, Whatever
Tips on how to traverse the dungeon itself and how to make the most of it.

IV : Your Party and You
Finding the right folks to team up with you.

V : Book of Quotes
Tips from others. Comment or PM me to have your tip added!

VI : Conclusion
Wrapping it up, less reading for you.

VII : Change Log
Update List for a Guide.

VIII : Credit and Other Links
A section for those whose help has added to the guide. Also helpful links related to dungeon exploring.

[hr][/hr]

I : Introduction

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has the word “dungeon” in its name. There"s no mistaking that exploring dungeons is a huge part of the series and gameplay experience. One could say the same about PMU.

Although, sometimes, we find ourselves stuck in crazy predicaments. “Monster Houses”, Starvation, and a whole host of terrible problems can fall upon one when exploring. The aim of this guide is to ultimately engrave the basics of dungeon exploring and to help you, or any other players, to get through places you previously could not.
[hr][/hr]

II : Dress for Success

. . . Is how the saying goes.

This certainly applies to PMU. One should not just jump into a 30F dungeon without the proper arrangements. Even if a person had a whole team of level 100s, they might be totally crippled by the belly loss if they did not find Apples. So, plan your next trip with care! Here are a few pointers and self-claimed “golden rules”:

• Know Where You"re Going

It"s uncommon sense, really. Make sure you have a decent idea of how the dungeon will play out. You can get hints of the types of Pokemon there from its name, or you can ask other players for the number of floors and other characteristics!

[spoilerHere"s a great site to check out general PMU info::208wlyzh]http://pmysteryuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/P.MysteryUniverse_Wiki

Most, if not all, the information was collected by players. If you have something to add to it, feel free to hop in!

[/details]

• Don"t Forget the Basics

Every adventurer"s bag has its staples. You should be totally prepared before venturing out! These items include:
- Apples.
- Reviver Seeds.
- Escape Orbs.
- Ethers.
- Equips. (Stamina Band.)

One of these could probably save your hide in a dungeon! Apples, Ethers, Escape Orbs, and various Equip-able items can purchased from the Kecleon Store in Grassroot! Reviver Seeds can be found in multiple dungeons, most notably Winden Forest, Mount. Skylift, Crystal Castle, Southern Sea (In The Walls), and Beach Bunker (In The Walls).

[spoilerNot So Pro Tip:208wlyzh]ALWAYS bring an Escape Orb. I always bring two in the case that someone else may get stuck, or if it gets sticky. Sometimes, Bosses in the ends of dungeons don"t spawn due to unknown problems. The Staff Team has far better things to do than fish players out of a dungeon. They"re not here just to save rare items, you know. Save them ten minutes and bring an Escape Orb. Please.

[/details]
[hr][/hr]

III : Dungeoneering, Exploring, Dungeon Crawling, Whatever

There are various names that I"ve made up for the same task. There are also various ways you can work your way around a dungeon, but some are more effective than others. Ultimately, it depends on your task at hand.

• Be Careful

A general rule that should be followed for obvious reasons. Don"t be wasteful of the PP, Food, and Items you"ve brought along with you. Keep a safe distance away from Pokemon that may be a threat, and approach accordingly! Learning your Pokemon Types can be helpful in a dangerous situation.

[spoilerPro Tip:208wlyzh]You can attack (regular attack, not moves) tiles in front of you to check for traps! Use it to get safely across a possibly dangerous room!

[/details]

• Pick Up Everything

Unless your Inventory is full, this should apply to most explorers. Most things found in a dungeon are useful, one way or another. Even a Plain Seed does something. When your bag is full and you come across an Apple, eat an Apple in your bag, then replace it with this new one. It"s like being restored 50 Belly for no charge! Besides, wasting food is bad.

The items that were gracefully shoved into your bag in the exploration can be sold to Kecleon for Poke. A great example is Winden Forest. Tons of Equip-Able items such as Power Bands, and random TMs are lying around. To you, they"re currently useless, but to Kecleon, they"re money. You might get an extra 1,000 Poke that way.

• Party Up

If you"re going to a dungeon to train, or even if you just want to get through it, having friends with you makes the whole experience more fun! They can also get you out of tough spots too. The more, the merrier!
[hr][/hr]

IV : Your Party and You

Friends are great to bring along when you go exploring.

• Speed Runs

If you"re looking to get through the dungeon quickly and just run past the Pokemon, waiting on the stairs for a party member may not be the best thing. Consider the difficulty of the dungeon and your goal before joining up with someone to race through!

• Training Runs

You may be in a dungeon for a long while if you"re looking to level up your Pokemon. A large floor might just send you back to town just because of the Belly you might lose. You"re not going to be able to get the maximum amount of experience by yourself. For times like these, call a friend! They"ll help you split up the work load, and they can get something out of it too.

[hr][/hr]

Here are a few general pieces of advice you should consider when you are with someone:

• Listen to Each Other
If someone needs help, help them! Simple as that. They might save you in return!

• Help Your Teammates
There is no “I” in team. Only T, E, A, and M. Even if you"re at a distance, try giving them some covering fire. Launch a Flamethrower from a few tiles away to knock out that Pidgeot that"s wrecking their HP, or even use Refresh to help your team!

• Team Synergy
Don"t bring a Politoed with Drizzle if your friend has a Hippowdon. They just don"t work with each other. Make sure your own Pokemon work in conjunction to theirs. Also, make sure your whole party is reasonably balanced.

[spoilerFor Building the Efficient Team:208wlyzh]http://pmuniverse.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7109

[/details]

• Stay in Contact
PMU"s in game chat can sometimes be a hassle to use, especially with lag. Try to use some alternatives such as Chatango, most preferably, Skype.

With Skype, you can talk to each other in real time, so utilize that call feature when you"re going on a difficult journey.
[hr][/hr]

V : Book of Quotes

Others have their own tips to share with you, if you want to be here, Comment or PM me your tips for folks!
[hr][/hr]
MagicWiz wrote: not too much…my rule is to survive 8D

Zappeh wrote: When in doubt, bring revivers to help you out!

Tsu wrote: Bring 3 Escape Orbs. One to Lend, One to Use, and One to Eat!
[hr][/hr]

VI : Conclusion

It"s near the end of this long read. I appreciate you taking your time to go through the things you probably know, but hey, it"ll help someone. (I hope.)
[hr][/hr]

VII : Change Log

[2-14-13] v1.0 Finished, Minor Edits.
2-16-14 v.1.1. Updated, Added Section “Your Party and You”, Minor Edits.
2-17-14 v 1.1. Updated, Minor Edits.

[hr][/hr]

VIII : Credit and Other Links

I graciously thank folks for helping me check stuff over, add content, and for helping me get more updated on the dungeons these days! It"s a big help!

Unofficial Pokemon Mystery Universe Wiki
It contains information regarding various dungeons, places, items, players, and more!

.: Tanren Chambers, a Guide to Everything~ :.
Written by Voltray. A wonderfully organized and well detailed guide on Tanren Chamber"s various mysteries and treasures.

Harmonic Tower Guide
Written by Sandra (Mad). An informative guide on conquering the 100F Dungeon, Harmonic Tower.

Building The Team
Written by “Yours Truly”. Make your team efficient and balanced in dungeons.

Yay Agun~ I’m sure this guide will help others improve on dungeon skills/surviving etc c:

Yus.

Escape Orbs.

YES, THEY EXIST.

–yawns–

Good fourm agui…

maybe… mention… berries… people dont pay attention to them. since items get sticky with traps…

berries are yummy… -falls asleep-

Great guide, Agu~ ^^

I just wanted to say somethings:

Rules Of Partying:

1. If you just want to run through the whole dungeon, being in a party is quite difficult, since many people prefer to battle and slow you down (this especially applies when you’re bringing someone higher level than you). I’m not saying partying is bad, but having two makes it slow (unless your objective is to make it through slowly or safely, or you’re going to HT or possibly TC).

2. Help your teamates out; if they’re battling the monster house, don’t spectate from a distance. Even if you’re weak, try launching some little support moves like Poison/Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Yawn, Hypnosis or Will-O-Wisp. Or jump into the battle altogether unless your partner(s) told you to stay out of the way. This could be a warning that they think you’re going to faint and drag them down,or they might be preparing to use Surf or something.

And 3. Listen to each other! The worst situation is when you try to seem cool and try to find the stairs yourself, and die in a monster house, with your partner(s) elsewhere and half lost. Stick together most of the time, respect each other’s item or Pokemon Recruit claims, and everything will usually run smoothly, unless it’s your unlucky day.

Maybe add a section for something like this?

Lol, thank you!

Berries, I don’t find myself using them too much, unless it’s a eat or die hunger situation.

Sounds like a plan.

2-16-14 v.1.1. Updated, Added Section “Your Party and You”.

If anyone wants to add their party tips to that section, I’d appreciate the comment. :v

Nice guide Aguni but you could also mention some items you should take to dugeons too.By this i mean going into Dungeons like HT and Snowveil ect it and not being fully prepared can cause troubles in a long run.

Some useful items you should take when training are apples,ethers,escape orbs,revivers and also cleanse orbs just incase some supplies get sticky and unusable.

Always being prepared is a key to success in any dungeon