[ s t a r t i n g o u t , W I P ]

Introduction

In PMU, like in most Pokemon games, you can pick and choose the Pokemon you want to start off with. This immediately generates the question: Which one is the best?

Well, I"ll answer that. There is no “best” one. It all comes down to the weaknesses you can tolerate, the types you like, and generally, which Pokemon you like or suits you the best. (Or the pretty designs)

And then you might say something like: “But I think Mudkip Torchic, and Squirtle are all good!”

Therefore, I"m going to list the three most important pros and cons (In my opinion) of each starter so you can weigh out and compare the choices. Sorry if I have information wrongD: Tell me if I do, since this is my first time writing a guide.

• Tsu

The Facts!

[spoilerGrass Types:3w1m5wmu]

[b] Bulbasaur [/b]

The Torterra Clone, only Better.

Starting off: Beating Tiny Grotto should be a cinch. It"s Grass, meaning you can train in Seaside Cavern without much problem. Getting Cut from.Sour Root might be, as the bosses are the same type as our friend Bulbasaur. It would be nice to teach it TMs. Or if you are in for a challenge, kill them with Tackle. Cliffside Cave isn"t too difficult, just keep your eye on those nasty Zubats.

Pros:

• It"s a Grass Type that can"t be Poisoned <3 Though it can be burned, you can recover the HP you lose from them by running around, unlike Poison.

• It recieves Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) for Grass and Poison moves, which means it has little to fear from other Grass Type starters.

• Along with it"s dual type STAB, Bulbasaur and it"s evolutions have a plethora of Grass and Poison moves which it can learn at high levels, with TMs, or by tutoring; many of them quite a threat.

Cons:

• Other than some Ground type moves, most of the moves Bulbasaur and it"s evolution don"t really benefit the goal of defending it"s weaknesses. It"s kind of stuck when it comes to the move type variety category.

• It learns the fewest moves from  TM, out of all the other Grass Starters.

• The moves it starts with consist of many status ones, making it a bit more difficult to train in the beginning.

[b] Chikorita [/b]

Starting off: In the beginning, Chikorita fares pretty well, just like it"s other fellow starters. It has even less damaging moves out of it"s own type than Bulbasaur. Chikorita is perfect if you enjoy dungeoning with friends, but not so ideal if you prefer solo.

Pros:

• It has Leaf Guard, so when it"s sunny, no poisons, sleep, burns, freezes, and paralyzes 4 u! ^^

• Meganium, it"s final evolution, knows Aromatherapy; It heals all status problems of people in your party, whom you go dungeoning with. Makes it a nice healer to have when playing with others in 100 floor dungeons like Harmonic Tower~

• At level 20, you can have a moveset with Synthesis, for healing, and Razor Leaf (with high critical hit percentage) and Magical Leaf (never misses). Easy to train onwards for the newer players.

Cons:

• It has a small good movepool compared to other Grass starters.

• Less attack options.

• From levels 23+ (assuming you evolve and everything) the moves aren"t that useful. Solarbeam, Petal Dance, and Aromatherapy are really the only useful ones left. Other than that, you might have to rely on TMs a lot.

[b] Turtwig [/b]

Starting off: Turtwig is just one of those decent Pokemon. Okay movepool, stats. But it"s when you get to Torterra is where all your hard work pays off. The harder the task, the greater the results~ But sadly, you"re a bit grounded in the decent section until then, since all it"s good leveling moves arrive with Torterra.

Pros:

• It has Shell Armor. Instant cure for Critical-Hit-Phobia!

• Ending with one half Ground, Fire is much less of a threat, and with it"s powerful Attack, it can easily cripple most Bug and Flying types, due to their lower Defense and Special Defense stats.

• A pretty decent movepool, and most of them fit in well with Turtwig~

Cons:

• When you get Torterra, it"s the only Grass starter with x4 weakness to Ice types, which grow more common, as people need something to counter Dragons with. Not to mention that most dungeons in Winden have Ice types.

• It evolves into Grotle, it"s second evolution, at level 18, later than all the other Grass Type starters.

• Prior to obtaining Torterra, Turtwig and Grotle have almost no decent TM moves to be taught, so you"ll have to stick with it"s decent leveling moves.

[b] Treecko [/b]

Starting off: Everything is pretty much fine with Treecko. Except for a little drawback. It can"t take as many hits as the other Grass starters, due to lower defense and HP, but only by a smidgen. However, sometimes, it"s that little something that counts <3

Pros:

• At level 100, it"s final evolution, Sceptile, has a stats a bit higher than the rest of the Grass starters.

• Treecko and it"s evolutions can learn many types of moves, making the moves it has less predictable~

• The Treecko family can learn the most TMs out of any Grass starter.

Cons:

• It evolves into Sceptile at level 36, 4 levels later than the other Grass starters.

• Unless you get a TM Rest, Treecko has no healing move, even by tutoring, like Synthesis, which the other Grass starters all have. And Treecko probably can"t take as many hits as the others of it"s starter type.

• Though the Treecko family can learn many different moves, many of them lack range, which makes it a bit harder to battle with outside of a dungeon.

[/details]

[spoilerFire Types:3w1m5wmu]

[u] Charmander [/u]

Starting off: Charmander literally can stomp over Tiny Grotto and Sour Root Cave. Avoid Seaside Cavern, and use the dojo as a training alternative (or you could burn up places). In the dojo, when fire fails you, Charmander can easily turn to a Dragon or Normal move. But it really suffers in Cliffside cave. Pokemon there hit hard, inflict poison, and are all generally pitted in someone against Charmander. The Digletts and Geodudes use Magnitude, full room Ground moves. The boss, Golem, kind of crushes your hopes. Not much you can do against a sturdy Rock-Ground type with a Fire starter. Bring someone fit for this along.

Pros:

• It has a good amount of offensive moves, right in the beginning~

• Once fully evolved, it"s the only Fire-Type starter who can move on water <3

• Charmander hits the STAB button. Hard. At an early level, it"ll know quite a few Fire-type moves, not to mention that most of these moves are tailored to fit it"s high Special Attack.

Cons:

• It"s final evolution, Charizard, has x4 weakness to Rock types, plus an added. And though it loses weakness to Ground, it gains weakness to Electric. Somewhat helpful, as it is immune to Ground then, but most Ground types are part Rock or know Rock moves. Electric types are annoying, with big moves like Discharge.

• A strong Water type attack can easily knock down Charmander, since it"s Defense is barely decent. This goes for the other Fire type starters as well.

• The only offensive moves that actually benefit Charmander are.Fire, Dragon, and Normal moves. The other ones don"t fit that well, but are decent.

[/details]

I just flicked through it, and may have missed where it says this, but where’s Treecko? Also Bulbasaur doesn’t resist Ground, and Speed isn’t a big factor in PMU.

True!

And besides this, do talk about their success with the various bosses in game, difficulty starting out with them, and do emphasize how effective move choice is in PMU! cx

True!

And besides this, do talk about their success with the various bosses in game, difficulty starting out with them, and do emphasize how effective move choice is in PMU! cx[/quote]

I didn’t havr time to do Treecko yet, I only got up to three. Thanks for the tips, swamp and Agu <3

[ e d i t e d ]

On Chickorita, with Leaf Guard, it prevents confusion as well(in sun of course).

It prevents practically everything, immobilisation, Block, Imprison ect.