Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Addressing The Current Server Downtime

Re: Addressing The Current Server Downtime

It's okay, I understand how hard coding can be, and how long it takes. I used to code tiny flash games and HTML+ CSS, and I can say this, it isn't a push of a button. >.> Ypu don't have to rush on completing the update, but as many people are asking for, it might be good if you updated us on how the matience is going every once in a while. I love PMU, and I appreciate the work the staff has put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxiorc
    for a topic that addresses the current downtime, it sure is unreliable and useless at this point.
    Sorry to hear that you feel that way... The intention of this post was to "attempt" to inform the majority as to what is going on... It isn't like the majority of PMU frequents the Chatango, or has a Skype account. I am not implying that the majority of the community views/posts on the forums either... But it is fairly clear that Chatango and Skype are currently the minority, and they are the only two places that were getting even the slightest bit of information regarding the server... Which pretty much all accumulates to what this post is.

The intentions of this news post was to answer some of the more consistent questions that have already been answered... I don't like to consistently repeat myself, I'm sure other members of the PMU community know of this by now, yet the same answered questions kept floating around.

Can we answer every question about the well being of the server? As much as we want too, now just isn't the time. But again, when more news comes up, we will inform the community as to what is going on... For now, this is the best we can give you until that time comes. We are working at the quickest pace we can to bring you guys something right now, but this is all we have for now...

Sorry.

Contributor

Yatterman, I have a question. Will it be off for the whole summer? So like in 2 weeks? If so, that will be annoying. :s

Well, that is kind of the issue... We don't really know when we are going to be putting the server back up, and we would rather not put down a deadline/promise a date for when the server is going back up.

Reasons being we don't want to set some kind of date, and then disappoint you guys by not making said date... And at this time, we can't even get a rough estimate of when we will be done this work.

We understand that having the server down for this long without an actual set date or clear explanation as to what is going on is a COMPLETE bummer, but we just sort of have to live with it for now... Sorry guys...

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Yatterman
    Well, that is kind of the issue... We don't really know when we are going to be putting the server back up, and we would rather not put down a deadline/promise a date for when the server is going back up.

Reasons being we don't want to set some kind of date, and then disappoint you guys by not making said date... And at this time, we can't even get a rough estimate of when we will be done this work.

We understand that having the server down for this long without an actual set date or clear explanation as to what is going on is a COMPLETE bummer, but we just sort of have to live with it for now... Sorry guys...
    Alright. I'm happy I get a decent response about something important. Thanks a lot.

Contributor

Actually.. there's more we can say. Right now, We are currently on a new, (much cheaper) server that runs on Linux (our Pokemon Online Server is hosted there at this time), and coding efforts are going into getting the PMU server compatible with it. In this porting process we're also hoping to fix a known networking bug that could cause the server to lag or crash. It's not the full story, but here you can at least get a general idea.

Server's probably going to stay down for at least another week, likely over two. It's not a guarantee, but then again, if it isn't, you'll all just be pleasantly surprised. Just remember this is a lower bound and we don't want to give any guarantees we can't keep.

On that note, when we do get close to restarting, we will explain the situation in full detail.

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I really appriciate it.

That's actually a really good move, so I congratulate you guys c:

this is good to hear actually.

im willing to wait as long as It takes to make the server better.

And thank you sprinko for giving us some actual info.

Quote Originally Posted by pkFire-a
    Actually.. there's more we can say. Right now, We are currently on a new, (much cheaper) server that runs on Linux (our Pokemon Online Server is hosted there at this time), and coding efforts are going into getting the PMU server compatible with it. In this porting process we're also hoping to fix a known networking bug that could cause the server to lag or crash. It's not the full story, but here you can at least get a general idea.

Server's probably going to stay down for at least another week, likely over two. It's not a guarantee, but then again, if it isn't, you'll all just be pleasantly surprised. Just remember this is a lower bound and we don't want to give any guarantees we can't keep.

On that note, when we do get close to restarting, we will explain the situation in full detail.
    Thank you so much, Sprinko, both you and Yatterman. This thread is very enlightening and I appreciate it a lot. Good luck with your work. :joy: