How to Be Recognized

Are you a new player? Are you someone that wants to make more friends? When someone says “Hey who wants to train?” and you say “Me!” do you get ignored? Well, this apparent guide is one you would be looking for.

Be friendly.- Nothing like showing off how friendly you are to the folks. Big mean aggressive people don’t apparently get a good mark, and being friendly in however way you think is possible will be the first start. …Don’t overdo the friendliness though, or you’ll end up looking like a stalker.

Be cool.- No, being cool does not particularly mean you have to act better than everyone or act way out of your normal self. Keeping your cool especially in situations such as arguments is respectable, and will make a lot of people see you as someone to like.

Be yourself.- Being yourself may be the most important of being recognized, or make some friends. Some will accept who you are, some will not, but it doesn’t give all the pressure and stress of not being yourself.

Help people out.- This one I know personally. One particular time, I helped an Aron get an Engraved Tablet, and from right there he spoke to me whenever he saw me, asked to go exploring and even wanted to just chill out. You should keep helping to a medium level, though. If you don’t help anyone, chances are no one will help you. And if you help out too much, your “being recognized” will turn into “being used”. Yes it means that people will just ask you for things and won’t be such a friend.

Build a good reputation.- You could be someone known that solves problems in no time flat, tries to do their best, is known for their signature Pokemon, anything really. What is a bad reputation is trolling people, begging, stealing (despite not being against the rules, people will hate your guts for stealing their TM Flamethrower or Wonder Chest), flaming people, getting into trouble such as being muted a lot. “Oh, that person (Your Name)? (You) got muted just the other day for cursing at someone.”

Show off a little.- I’m pretty sure a lot of us know that most users don’t barely notice or care about someone that looks weak and useless. For example, Infernape is about to do a dangerous mission and he may need someone to help. He walks right past the Piplup he sees and asks the world “Who wants to go with me?” The Piplup says, “I do!” yet Infernape says “No one? OK.” and he goes. When it comes to exploring with others especially, be sure to add a little stat information about yourself. I think I too would be much more convinced if I was told and shown by the Piplup that he was level 71. Speaking of showing off a little, don’t show off too much, or you’ll be seen as a bragger or a jerk, or a total showoff in general. You shouldn’t tell, you should answer. Does the previous advice confuse you compared to the previous sentence? When I say “You shouldn’t tell, you should answer” I mean that you shouldn’t tell the whole world you have a whole bunch of level 80s that are so strong and cool.

Keep it simple.- Don’t be dramatic over something small. If someone steals your stuff, ask for it back. If they’re not going to give it, then go on about your business. Don’t just stand there raging, because it almost never works. “OMG GIVE ME BACK MY STUFF YOU IDIOT!” is much worse compared to “Can you give me my item back? No? Okay.” Be calm about things and don’t take everything too serious.

Don’t fish for attention.- No one likes an attention seeker. Don’t try to make others feel sorry for you or make them try to help you just because you’re calling yourself weak or ugly. It’s not going to work. Example scenario;

Delcatty: …I"m so weak and ugly. /emocorner, crais :cry: Teddiursa: D"aww don"t feel like that! You"re much better than that…! Delcatty: No I"m not! I"m a terrible person! Charizard: If you"re going to keep on that way, then you can do it. But seriously, just stop. I don"t want to listen to your being so sad. (About helping people out: If they"re truly that down on themselves, you can TRY and make things better. But if it doesn"t work, then move on. …Unless you happen to be the Don"tCareAboutMyselfGottaHelpOthers type.

Part 2, The Arena

After running around bored in PMU, I noticed some things going on in The Arena. And so I felt that it would be also helpful to my topic to post tips regarding The Arena in itself.

Chill.- Don’t get too competitive. That’s the main thing in The Arena that gets problems started. If someone’s using an AoE (Area of Effect, like Earthquake or Heat Wave or Bulldoze) repeatedly, don’t insult them because they’re using a move. Please don’t. It will make matters worse, and may induce trolling or more dramatic responses. If it’s lagging you, ask them to stop using it first; without the insulting. And if they keep doing it and it causes problems for others, you just ask a Staff member to ask them to stop. This doesn’t mean you report someone every time you see an Earthquake being used. Just if they’re intentionally doing it, because they would stop if they weren’t intending to do any harm.

Keep your comments to yourself.- If someone has an Absol that uses Shadow Ball, or maybe a Zangoose that uses Thunderbolt, or even a Lucario that uses Feint, don’t bash people over it. They made their moves that way, so even if it is considered a terrible set don’t get on their top about it. Many times over it has led to Staff attention and like the “Chill” tip, you shouldn’t get that competitive. Maybe if it’s advice, okay, but try not to pressure people about it.

Don’t troll.- Yes, trolling is fun slash funny. But not for the victims or the people witnessing it. Example scenario is if someone is severely stronger than you and you decide to annoy them by using Sleep Powder or Toxic over and over again, making some kind of remark each time you were knocked out. “:P Haha you’re getting annoyed aren’t you?” To those that deal with someone like that, there is a very high chance that they are just as equally annoyed with you as they claim you are with them, probably due to you KOing them over and over again.

Be quiet.- It’s always good to just walk in, win or lose a match and move on without a word, besides a GG if you’re a good sport and you mean it. Otherwise if you have something smart to say, keep it to yourself. A lot of people including myself like to see people that don’t take little games and fights so seriously and they just move on. So yes, you can be known for being a good nice guy that accepts whatever happens to his Pokemon in the game. Not someone that rages when they die.

When I read the title, at first l thought the guide would be rubbish, but then I read most of it and it’s actually a pretty good guide. Nice work Jay.

You make some pretty good points!

If anything, I’d say to keep everything in moderation. (That seems to relate with a lot of what you’ve brought up!)
And yes, I think being yourself is one of the most important things! A nice series of tips to being a generally respectable member. :)

Nice work.

maybe if i follow this people will finally start to like me. ;3;

i dont need nothing of those aparently, i only need to steal items since people see´s me as a thief