Trapping Moves

Trapping is in need of a major update. Contrary to what the news section says trapping moves did not get a buff. They still do 1/16 damage. With the change to Generation 6 i think that the moves should also be updated to Generation 6, like every other move.

Trapping moves are currently stuck in Generation 4. All trapping moves do 1/16 damage, it is supposed to be 1/8 damage.
-Bind
-Fire Spin
-Whirlpool
-Clamp
-Infestation
-Magma Storm
-Sand Tomb
-Wrap
Proof: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wrap

The item Grip Claw is currently also stuck in Generation 4. It makes the enemy be trapped for 5 turns when it is supposed to make the enemy stay trapped for 7 turns.
Proof: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ … #Grip_Claw

The item Binding band is just wrong. It’s supposed to increase the amount of damage done from 1/16 to 1/8 prior to Generation 6. In Generation 6 it is supposed to increase the damage from 1/8 to 1/6. In PMU it currently increases the damage from 1/16 to 1/12.
Proof: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ … nding_Band

So in the end please update the trapping moves since i provided enough proof and reason i see no reason for them not to be fixed~ (btw saying “they will be too strong” is not a reason to reject this)

they will be too strong

Seriously though, PMU works drastically different from the main games. In the main games, they did need a buff because they were rather useless. The use, I should remind you, was to make the opponent unable to switch and take a bit of damage every turn. In PMU, trapping moves are a lot more powerful than in the main games, as they make you unable to move (both movement and using moves) and damage you quite a lot in a short span of time. I believe that’s already overpowered enough. There’s no need to make them even stronger.

Actually, I did indeed buff the trapping moves… Quite a bit even.

Prior to my buff to trapping moves, all trapping moves (save for Magma Storm) would do 1/32 damage per turn without a binding band, and 1/16 with a binding band… I made the decision to buff them all to 1/16 without a binding band, and 1/12 with a binding band.

Not only this, but I had also buffed the duration without a grip claw by 1, and buffed the duration with a grip claw by 2. Making it a 3 turn duration without the grip claw, and a 5 turn duration with the grip claw. And on top of ALL of that, all DoT/Trapping moves stack with eachother (i.e: You can stack Whirlpool, Infestation, Firespin, etc… on top of eachother to increase the Damage over Time effect).

The reason why I did not make them the same damage as X/Y is because of the way that PMU works… This is not a turn based game, so that kind of damage output is extremely broken. Even as it is, the current trapping moves are much more powerful then they used to be. I’m surprised people think I really didn’t buff them at all… If anything, I honestly think I made them a little TOO powerful, and am already considering a minor adjustment for balancing purposes (mostly considering changing the duration back to 2 turns without the grip claw, since 3 turns where you can’t move is a bit powerful… However, I need to do more testing before I fully consider that).

Like Art mentioned, the main use of these moves is to trap the opponent… You cannot move while under the effect of any DoT moves, and every time you attack, you will take damage for it… This is already quite powerful, considering PMU’s combat takes place in real time. The only reason I wanted to buff them is because 1/32 damage per turn was waaaay too low.

You might also want to consider that these are moves will become more commonly found on NPC’s in future dungeons… I don’t think anyone is going to want to take 1/8 - 3/8 damage per turn, on top of not being able to move. 1/16 a turn is already powerful enough as is… And if that isn’t enough for you, invest in a Binding Band, or a Grip Claw.

Have you not noticed how the majority of moves in PMU aren’t entirely accurate to the moves in the main series? Take AoE’s for example, and how they have an accuracy nerf based on range… This is all done for balancing purposes.