Character Names & Deletion

I apologize if this has been asked before. I went through the last couple of pages on this thread and didn’t see anything that seemed to be about this, but I didn’t click every single topic either.

I took a long break from PMU but decided to check things out after getting the itch to play again. I was using my last character slot to look for some available names before settling on one. However, when I tried to recreate the name and was unable to, I realized there was probably some kind of time-out for deleted names. I went digging around here and found a post by user Andy that read, “Once a character or account is deleted, the name in question can no longer be reused. If starting fresh while keeping the name of the character you previously deleted is especially important to you, feel free to shoot me a PM for any possible arrangements.” I am unsure if he is still active in the community, otherwise I would have PM’d him as was suggested. There is no evidence of recent posts from his profile and his last dA activity was in 2013.

Am I out of luck for this name I wanted? (I’d rather not say it publicly in case there’s just a timeout and it will become available again on its own.)

Hi!

If you can provide proof that the character name was once yours to one of our current administrators I’m sure something could be worked out.

The administrators’ profiles can be found here.

Best of luck!

I can’t provide proof, I only had it for about a minute. Ah well. I’ll go with a different variation.

Thanks for the quick response!

A friend tried to get me into the game recently. Is there still no fix to this? I accidentally went though the portal at the start with a pokemon choice I didn’t want (the gen 7 starters are placed right next to the portals for some reason, very easy to overshoot).

I figured I’d just restart the character, but uhh… You guys don’t either cleanse character data or dissociate the username? I really want my name, Maledy, but like the OP I had the character for a very short amount of time and have no way to “prove” its mine. It’s literally a character that didn’t even leave the tutorial… Can the name either be deleted or the old account given back?

I’d rather play as a pokemon I don’t like at the start with the name I like than choose a different name… It’s turned me off wanting to play now if I can’t use my name, Maledy.

1 Like

Not sure If It will be fixed or when, It’s either Intended or spaghetti code Is why you can’t
you are at least warned about It before you delete your account:

Honestly I’ve not heard about DMing staff to get your name back until just now; when X or Y Is done for any player can be kind of situational

Andy Is actually still around, so If you want to give recovering your name a shot, I’d recommend DMing PMU Modmail#4322 on Discord

Looking at one of the starter rooms, for the first and last gen, the warps are covered, so honestly I don’t blame you for accidentally picking your starter ( for staff, perhaps the tile on top can be removed and/or a confirmation story can be added )
Fire_Destiny_Cavern